1) Don’t worry about new shoes! You want to get fitted for new walking shoes 3-4 weeks before the walk. You want to actually visit a walking shoe specialist (like Big Peach Running Co.) and be fitted for shoes. They will also recommend getting walking shoes a half size larger than what you typically wear so that your feet have room to swell as the day goes on. You want plenty of time to break in your shoes prior to the walk- don’t wear any new clothing or shoes to the walk that you haven’t worn before!
2) Wear moisture-wicking socks to help keep your feet dry and prevent blisters! Cotton socks will make you miserable- don’t wear them! You can find moisture-wicking socks online and in most stores.
3) If you know you tend to have a problem area on your feet that is likely to blister (tops of toes and heels are most common), simply apply moleskin (available at most stores) to the area before you start walking to prevent chafing. Vaseline/Neosporin is also ok to apply to prevent chafing.
4) Do not get pedicures the week before the walk! Certainly, trim or paint your nails as needed/desired, but keep your calluses!
5) If at any point you feel pain or discomfort in your feet or ankles, stop and see our staff! We will be at every single B’Rest Stop, and it is our pleasure to attend to your podiatry needs. If you need attention after you return from the route on Saturday, be sure to see us right away as all medical services close at 6 pm that evening.
We are here for you, we are proud of what you are doing, and look forward to serving you at the 2017 Atlanta 2-Day Walk for Breast Cancer!
~ Dr. Joseph Giovinco
Check out our past photos here!
If you are suffering from foot pain, and need an industry-leading physician to treat your ailments, then make an appointment today! With more than 20 offices across the metro-area, we are surely just a short drive away. Come see our team for a complete foot and ankle exam!
If you are in need of a podiatrist before the walk, schedule an appointment today!
Let Us Help You With Your Feet!